Thursday, May 27, 2010

The End

Herb: Is there no “ending” to “Infinite Book” because there couldn’t be? Or did you just get tired of writing it?

DFW: There is an ending as far as I’m concerned. Certain kind of parallel lines are supposed to start converging in such a way that an “end” can be projected by the reader somewhere beyond the right frame. If no such convergence or projection occurred to you, then the book’s failed for you.-Live online with DFW

http://www.badgerinternet.com/~bobkat/jest11a.html

So here are some links about the end of IJ. They do contain spoilers!
And the main thing that I got out of all of them was: How did you all read IJ in the 2-14 days you claim to have read this gigantic novel in?!?!

This tries to explain how all the plot aspects of the end come together:
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend

An entire review of IJ that is pretty interesting:
"In some ways Infinite Jest is one very extended metaphor, then, for the cultural logic of the later-than-usual (for the year is 2018 or so) capitalism, but that is not Wallace's main point. His main point is radically unsophisticated, unlike his prose and his narrative momentum, and it goes something like this: we need to learn some simple things, for instance, how not to wank ourselves to death in a world full of steamy intoxicants, and how to become ordinary people instead. Mercifully, Wallace is no new age fundamentalist trying to reeducate his junkies. He's a terrific prose writer who is just trying to answer some pertinent, pressing questions. He does not quite reach his destination even after 1100 pages, but we can recognize his meanderings, his pain, his hopes, and his questions as disturbingly familiar. Good questions, those. "-Piotr Siemion
http://www.electronicbookreview.com/thread/criticalecologies/postapocalyptic

2 comments:

  1. I usually can read up to 100 pages within an hour or so but with Infinite Jest, I had to take my time. The chapters weren't conventionally ordered but I guess that is where IJ is unique in its own way. Here is a quote out of the book that is a favorite of mine "You'll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do." I use to worry about that but seeing this quote made me realize how much DFW incorporates a little bit of reality into his novel. Although it more than 999 pages....I believe its a work of art. His style of writing didn't catch my eye at first because it's one those of books where you don't enjoy when reading it for the first time. But like what Chloe mentioned at the beginning of the quarter, it will all make sense as you read it the second time around. Even though majority of the stuff I am reading confuses me at times...hopefully re-reading it will make me understand it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These links are tempting but I'm putting them out of my mind like a dangerous vice till I finish... got about 100 pages left.

    ReplyDelete