Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hal's dream

On page 449:

"Hal had this horrible new recurring dream where he was losing his teeth, where his teeth had become like shale and splintered when he tried to chew, and fragmented and melted into grit in his mouth; in the dream he was going around squeezing a ball and spitting fragments and grit, getting more and more hungry and scared."

I find this passage to be very interesting because I once had a dream that was something like this. But instead mine were falling out instead of it being splintered and whatnot. Can this dream be a warning to him about his drug use...or something else that hes worried about in his life?

1 comment:

  1. I found that passage really interesting too! I have also had dreams about my teeth falling out, usually during periods of extremely high anxiety (probably related to my bruxism). I've heard numerous other people mention dreams about their teeth falling out too. It's always aversive to the point of wanting to mention it when you wake up, it seems. I'm sure we could find a reference somewhere to some kooky symbolism regarding losing-your-teeth dreams. I always feel like dreams that involve anything unpleasant involving your head or face are especially disconcerting because it's such an extremely vital part of the body, and threats to the head/face (for example imagine a ball or fist coming towards you, or even a puff of air to the eye) make us feel especially vulnerable. I would definitely agree that the description of Hal's dream is related to the dangers of his indulgence, especially given his oft-mentioned toothache.

    ReplyDelete